Sunday 14 September 2014

Ugg Boots - Is it Really Worth Extra?

Autumn and winter is a-coming, and out comes the uggs. These snugly fluffy boots are not only a wardrobe favourite, but also a fashion favourite for some. With ugg boots however, there is a huge choice out there with the most obvious being the Ugg Australia brand. Others include EMUs, Bearpaws, and other high street and online brands. I've owned 3 ugg boots including 1 Urban Ugg Co, 1 Bearpaw and 1 Rodius (bought on eBay).

With some uggs at a price of £140 on average, is it really worth all that extra money though? The major difference between the higher-end ranges vs high street brands is the material, which is sheepskin for boots at a RRP of over £80. Compared to the synthetic material used in high street shops, the sheepskin is more expensive to acquire, hence why more well known brands are more expensive.

The Rodius ugg
My first pair was a pair of Rodius boots, which I bought online from a Korean eBay seller, and this brand is quite popular for fashion shoots over in Asia. I'm still not too sure about the origins of this brand. Anyways, it looks like a regular ugg boot, my one was mid length, so it covered from my ankles to my calves. It has a really cute eagle-like logo sewn into one side of the ugg boot, which I actually really liked. Looking at the picture, it looks really warm and thick, but in reality, it's actually quite thin material. The wool inside is very thin, and it doesn't really help much with keeping your feet warm. However, I do have to say, they do look nice with a pair of jeans or with tights, but at a price of £20+, it's probably better to go with high street brands.

Bearpaw uggs
I bought my second pair of ugg boots when I went to America to teach in a Summer Camp (hmmmm might write a blog post about this later on!). I saw these in the Bronx for just $20-something and I was like, no! I can't leave this! These actually helped me survive summer in America, as storms were a frequent unexpected phenomenon. It also kept my feet very warm on the flight home. Just feeling these, they are much more heavier that the Rodius boots, and the wool was very warm. I relied on these boots pretty much throughout my last year at university, and wore them pretty much everyday. This is purely because they were so easy to put on and you can face the cold British weather with them on. They've lasted me about 2 years, however, you can definitely notice the wear and tear. I can't wear these out anymore as the stones have punctured some of the heel, so stones actually end up inside the shoe and rattle when I walk. Also, these stones have made some holes into the heel itself, so my feet get very wet if it's raining outside. Finally, the inside soles of the boot itself have started to disintegrate, and is quite uncomfortable to walk in. Despite this, I did wear them all the time, and they are definitely worth the price of up to about £60 I would say.

The Urban Ugg Co
I received these pair of ugg boots from a friend in Australia, and these cost around £80. At first, it may look surprisingly like Ugg Australia, but it's actually a different brand: The Urban Ugg Co. They are also made from real sheepskin, like Bearpaw. However, these are just amazing so far (I received them in January 2014), they are so comfortable and make really comfy driving shoes. You can see from the picture how thick the inside wool lining is, and believe me, they feel so warm as well. It's definitely worth that £80 price tag, in my opinion. These uggs are ankle uggs, so a little different from the above two. I doubted if I could pull them off on a casual daily basis, but despite my very short frame (152cm only!), they make my legs look long and slim. They are also very comfortable, and I can literally walk for hours on end in them.

Verdict? I would definitely say splashing a bit more cash on reputable ugg boot brands is definitely worth it. As you can see, the price you pay is the quality you receive. And despite what people may say, and this is especially true for the shorties out there, they do make a nice addition to a casual outfit.

Ratings:

Rodius: 3/10
Bearpaws: 6/10
Urban Ugg Co: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment